HomeWorld NewsAntony denies abuse allegations as Manchester United star gives tearful Brazilian TV interview
Antony denies abuse allegations as Manchester United star gives tearful Brazilian TV interview
September 9, 2023
Manchester United star Antony has denied all allegations of abuse levelled at him by several women in a shock TV interview.
Antony’s ex-girlfriend Gabriela Cavallin recently came out and claimed that the United winger assaulted her on four occasions.
Since then, two more women have come forward and made similar allegations, Rayssa de Freitas and Ingrid Lana.
But Antony has since had his say and denied all claims of abuse and he does not fear for his future at Old Trafford, with the Red Devils refusing to comment on whether the player had permission to give the bombshell interview.
With tears in his eyes, the 23-year-old spoke to Brazilian TV show Fofocalizando and said: “It’s something that doesn’t cross my mind.
“I know the truth and it will show up. I know there are a lot of people butchering me, but the truth comes out.”
Antony went on to talk about violence towards women and added: “I don’t support this ever. It’s totally wrong, 100 per cent wrong.
“I have a mother, a sister, and I would never want this to happen to them.”
There have been allegations that United sent club doctors to attend to Cavallin after she insisted that she was badly injured.
But Antony claimed: “I wanted to go and told her that I had obligations and had to go, so she took plates and cups and threw them on the ground and I grabbed her in order to calm her down. I didn’t hurt her.”
Cavallin also claimed that one of her breast implants needing changing due to the abuse suffered at the hands of Antony.
However, the former Ajax star insisted: “Do I punch a woman in the chest? Never. The situation with her silicone was diagnosed in 2020 before I met her. She already had to change it.”
The Brazilian was dropped from the international set-up this week after initially being called up as the allegations mounted up.
However, United have yet to take any action despite investigations opening in Manchester and Sao Paulo.
It is the second high-profile incident involving a United player and potential abuse after Mason Greenwood was internally suspended for 18 months.
The forward allowed to leave on loan for Getafe this summer while his future at Old Trafford appears to be over.
talkSPORT’s Mark Goldbridge recently addressed the matter in his weekly column where he admitted he liked Antony but that the club cannot suffer another PR disaster.
He wrote: “I have to say I’m a fan of Antony. I liked him at Ajax, I know it’s a different league, but I don’t think we’ve really seen the Antony who Ten Hag signed from Ajax.
“Maybe that’s because he isn’t good enough for the Premier League – we’ve seen plenty of players come over from the Eredivisie who aren’t, but I don’t think it was fair to judge him on his first season and this season was always going to be the year to judge him.
“The more important thing here, though, is not football related – it’s to do with these serious allegations that have emerged over the last few days. That will have the biggest impact on his future at Manchester United.
“Unfortunately we won’t be able to talk about whether the second season is where he proves himself as a player because the allegations are serious.”
talkSPORT football match centre
Keep up-to-date with all the latest Manchester United fixtures and results and live Premier League standings in our new match centre.